Sunday, September 12, 2004

Things that are required if you have children

Some of these items are only needed during small periods of a child's life, but still important just the same:

Vibrating bouncie seat (where Diego is currently sleeping)
swing, one that runs on batteries (stock up!)
about 15 thing to put on the crib (mobil, light, music, aquarium, etc.)
his own room, for all your kids crap
stroller (a good one, to last about 3 years!)
a saucer (a must have!)
good big sisters and brothers help out a lot
grandparents, hopefully living real close by!
a big car to carry all your kids crap
dogs that don't bite
soundproof rooms
many bathrooms
someone to fill in when you can not get your kid to soccer practice
heavy duty washer and dryer
room in the garage for all your kids crap
lots of photo albums
tons of Disney dvd's (Siobhan prefers Dora or Disney) I don't care what the "experts" say about your kid watching too much tv, when your making dinner, talking, working, or in a bad mood, what else is there? Maybe the "experts" can come watch my kids during these times. (How do you think I have time for this blog anyway? Thanks, Disney Princesses!)
a never empty fridge (if you can find one that fills itself up, let me know where to pick it up)

Of course, for your own sanity, lots and lots of alcohol (for me wine coolers do the trick, Eric likes Rum and Coke) now one might think that is a bit odd, but the one thinking that, has no kids!
Also for me, a stack of books, so that I never run out.
I think a nice tub is also very important. Hey better yet, drink a cooler, while taking a bath and reading a book. If you leave the water running you will never even hear the kids crying. ha ha

Things I think you DO NOT need when you have children:

a non-vibrating bouncie (what is the point)
a baby monitor (I mean unless you live in a castle you WILL hear your kid cry!)
so many clothes during the first few months (come on, how often are you ACTUALLY leaving the house anyway)
sleep (at least your kids think so )

I am sure there are lots more under each but my brain is all used up for today (it's only 7pm). I will leave you with these thoughts. As far as buying things for your kid, only do it if you know it will be used up before it is passed up. There is no point in spending extra on something that does not do anything extra.

Having said that, one thing I think parents spend too little thought on are shoes. Maybe Payless shoes seem okay, but those little feet are growing and shaping and need to be in good shoes. Good fitting, flexable and hopefully washable shoes. If they are cute then that is a bonus. Eric and I do not believe in cheap shoes for any of us, least of all Siobhan (Diego too once he needs them). Here is a website for kids shoes, I hope you will at least check it out. They are a little pricey, but well worth it. We buy from them and I think they have an amazing product.

http://preschoolians.com/

Have a good night, and have a drink on me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sending this to my best friend who is due in October...i think she'll like it :) oh P.S DIEGO IS SSSSOOOOO FREAKIN' cute i can't stand it! xoxox Norma Jeane

Anonymous said...

OMG, so, SO true!! I think you are the one who told us to get a swing and tate has been living in it for four months now. I realize now what a crappy shopper I was (pre-baby) when I bought a gift for a baby shower. I had NO CLUE! From now on it's all about practicality...no more frilly crap that has no use whatsoever.

TTT