Thursday, September 22, 2005

Daddy's Home

How do you say good-bye to someone that you planned to have around for the next 15 years at least? How do you accept the fact that you will never be held or kissed again? How do you spend your WHOLE life loving someone only to find they are no longer there? How many years, hours, days and minutes have you spent laughing and crying together only to have to do it alone?

My Father has left me. My Daddy is in heaven (although I am sure he would disagree). One full day he has been gone. One full day filled with tears, anger, smiles but mostly denial. There is nothing, I think, more special than a bond of a girl and her Daddy. Mine was no acceptation. My Daddy was often my world. My grandma used to joke because I would still sit RIGHT next to him when I was a teenager. I would hold his hand when we went somewhere. My Daddy NEVER stopped believing in me, no matter how many bad choices I made ( and there were plenty).

This will probably be one of the many ramblings on about my Daddy! I will miss him continuously.

Music is important to my whole family. My oldest brother (I have three!) sent an e-mail with a song that meant everything to him about my dad. I have one too.

A little background please. My parent divorced when I was about seven. My Dad lived in town for a while and then moved to California (we were in Tennessee). I will never forget the day my Dad left the house. We always spent the summers with my Dad. My parents were really good, probably the best, about time spent with the other parent. My parents got back together when I was about 12 and we moved to CA. During those years was hell for me. A girl without her Daddy is a girl lost! My mother was wonderful. My big brothers were a God amazing. My Daddy was missed everyday.

My Daddy had a song for me. Daddy's Home by Shep and the Limelites. For 36.2 years this song always meant his home was with me. Now I guess it means he is finally Home. Here are the lyrics!

You're my love you're my angel
You're the girl of my dreams
I'd like to thank you for waiting patiently
Daddy's home your daddy's home to stay

How I've waited for this moment
To be by your side
Your best friend wrote and told me
You had teardrops in your eyes
Daddy's home your daddy's home to stay

It wasn't on a sunday (monday and tuesday went by)
It wasn't on a tuesday afternoon (all I could do was cry)
But I made a promise that you treasured
I made it back home to you

How I've waited for this moment
To be by your side
Your best friend wrote and told me
You had teardrops in your eyes
Daddy's home your daddy's home to stay
Daddy's home to stay
I'm not a thousand miles away
Daddy's home to stay
I'm gonna be here come what may
Daddy's home to stay...


Good-bye Daddy. My heart aches for you!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I am so sorry to her of your loss.

What a beautiful song. There is a special bond between a girl a her Daddy
You are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Oh Di, I'm so, so sorry to hear about your Dad. Although I didn't know him personally, I feel like I know him through reading your words and your beautiful song. Thank you for sharing your grief. He'll always live on through you and your unconditional love for him.

Holler if you need anything, 'kay?

Hugs,
Andrea

raulpunch said...

also love Apple. I either do not speak much ingles. thanks for your commentary.

Mackey said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your daddy. Your beautiful memories will keep his sprit alive.