Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Disney, fact or fiction?

Have you noticed how Disney has help guide little girls to believe that they will grow up and fall in love with a Prince? That one day, when they are least expecting it, a Prince will ride up on his white horse and make all her dreams come true. Once they fall in love there are no problems after that? No fighting about bills (they are all rich anyway), how to raise the children (nannies), or anything else normal couples fight over. None of that.

So as a girl you dream, there must be only one man out there for you and if he falls short, well what was all the fuss about?

I think the story needs to be altered with each person. I will use myself as an example. My "Prince" rides up in a Passat. He might not be loaded but he provides for his family and we don't go without. As for all my dreams, well he helps me make them happen. Isn't that more important? I mean, do I really want someone else to make me happy? Wouldn't it be better that together we are happy because we help each other? We lean on one another, support one another, and tell one another "you can do it!". My "Prince" is here for a lifetime, and I am hoping for "happily ever after". If there is only one "Prince" out there for each person, I am sure I found mine.

I got my "Prince" a card and it said something along the lines of, "If someone asks me how long we have been together, I will tell them, not long enough". I thought, right then and there, that says it all. 15 years, not long enough. 25 years, not long enough. 50 years, if we are lucky enough to see it, still not long enough.

Maybe Disney leads us to believe in something that isn't possible. Or maybe Disney helps us realize that what we already have is everything they write about. Every dream coming true. True and lasting love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you telling me I should buy a white horse? We have the room, but I don't think it's up to city code. Now I COULD buy a nice new white BMW motorcycle. In fact, I could get that going ASAP.

Di said...

You need to stop reading between the lines! No motorcycle. BMW car, okay. No Disney princess ever had a husband that died on a motorcycle!

Anonymous said...

couldn't agree more, d. my marriage ain't some pre-canned destiny developed by a disney studio executive trying to make a buck. my marriage has flaws...a lot of them, actually...but the best thing about it is that, despite all the imperfections, i'm still the happiest i've ever been when i'm with him. piss on the fairy tale!!


ttt.

Beth Alvis said...

I can't believe I found my prince on a street corner. That was 18 1/2 years ago. Wow Time really does fly when you are fun. And I am having the time of my life. The funny part is he was/is a Yankee. Dad told me not to marry a Yankee...but I didn't listen. I am so glad that I didn't. OUr 15th year anniversary is coming up in January, do you have any suggestions?